Each year, LVMWD sponsors an art contest for students in our service area. This is just one of the many ways LVMWD helps educate students about the importance of water conservation.
This year's theme, "Water is Life," relates to the stewardship and conservation of water. Students in grades K-12 must use their creativity to convey this theme in their original artwork.
LVMWD will begin distributing materials to participating K-12 schools in early February.
Artwork must be submitted to each school's main office by March 10, 2017 for consideration.
- Artwork should be on either 8.5" x 11" or 12” x 18” WHITE drawing paper.
- If using 12" x 18" paper, artwork must have a 1-inch white or blank border on all four sides. (This is a graphics and framing requirement.)
- Artwork must be drawn HORIZONTALLY.
- Artwork must depict water conservation or efficient water use:
a. inside or outside of the home or school;
b. in industries or businesses;
c. in the environment (nature);
d. in agriculture; or
e. in recreation
- Students may use the following art media: crayons, markers, pencils, paints, watercolors, chalks, cut paper or fabric.
- Artwork must be ORIGINAL (No traced, trademarked, or copyrighted characters and slogans, i.e. Snoopy, Sponge Bob, Dora the Explorer, etc.)
- Expression of theme
- Originality and creativity
- Visual clarity
- No misspellings
- Facebook fan "likes" (see below)
From the submissions received, LVMWD staff will select 25 to post on our Facebook page, giving fans a chance to "like" their favorites. Please note, the number of “likes” a drawing receives will not automatically determine the 12 finalists whose artwork will be featured in LVMWD's 2018 desktop calendar. Final selection will be made by LVMWD's Board of Directors.
Finalists will be notified in April and honored, along with their teachers, at a recognition ceremony in May. Of those 12 finalists, LVMWD will select five whose artwork will be submitted to The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California for a chance to be featured in their 2018 calendar, which will be distributed to 11,000 recipients across the region.
If you have any questions about the contest, please email Tiffany Wright.