Las Virgenes Municipal Water District was formed to secure a quality, reliable source of water for the mountainous area west of the City of Los Angeles. Local water supplies were limited and of poor quality. A grassroots effort was placed in motion to find a source of water without annexing to the city of Los Angeles.
In February 1958, 64% of 1009 votes cast approved formation of a water district, "…to represent local residents in securing a source of imported water." In October of 1958, an 87% majority of voters approved District annexation to Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD), which remains the service area's sole source of potable water.
Quick Facts about MWD (PDF - 234 KB)